‘Together we will support and challenge our pupils to become their most creative, imaginative and analytical selves through perseverance, refinement and reflection.’
The Creative Arts department at Aldersley High includes art, photography, dance, dance, drama and musical studies. We are a vibrant and proactive department that consistently achieves excellent results at key stages 3, 4 and 5. Lessons are imaginative, engaging and challenging and students are eager to attend afterschool activities and perform and exhibit their work in front of their peers. A recent external moderator report highlighted that it was ‘evident that outstanding teaching practice is being delivered at this centre.’
We are determined that students at Aldersley school will have an enriching Creative Arts education that will inspire them to study our subjects at higher education level and lead to successful creative futures.
This year we are delighted to announce that there we will be an Amethyst Academy Trust musical performance of ‘Sister Act’ which will incorporate students from all year groups and involve all of the creative arts disciplines. Students will be given opportunities to take part in the production and performance of this show which will be performed at both Trust schools.
The creative arts department are planning a range of exciting events including cross-curricular activities, afterschool clubs, visits to arts establishments, working with arts professionals and events to showcase students’ achievements. Students will also be able to access a ‘Creative Arts Challenge’ area on the school ‘Steps to Success’ website where they can undertake creative challenges linked to the arts which will enrich their creative learning and increase students ‘real world’ arts experiences.
Here is the mission statement of the Creative Arts department:
All students will be given the opportunity, knowledge, skills and support to-
• Learn basic concepts and elements of the Arts.
• Be enhanced intellectually by the history and style of the arts.
• Celebrate and respect works of the arts from global cultures.
• Create work that integrates emerging technologies as well as traditional techniques.
• Learn to analyse in a supportive and respectful manner the visual art works of others.
• Recognise the arts as a continually evolving entity that incorporates many different media.
• Create pieces of work that portray their emotions and personality.
• Learn the skills to apply the arts to all areas of their academic, personal and professional lives.
• Develop a growing appreciation of the artist, works of art and development of the arts in the community.
As proactive members of the Creative Arts department teaching staff we will-
• Nurture the growth of developing minds by providing opportunities to explore, invent, express, dream, reflect, and communicate in a stimulating environment that fosters critical thinking and celebrates diversity.
• Ensure that our school community continues to value and support the arts for both their uniqueness and their integral role in the education of all children.
• Provide art programmes with multiple opportunities for problem solving as students learn about the arts and through the arts. It is through the arts that students transfer learning across curricular areas, weaving meaning and relevancy to connect all subjects.
• Acknowledge multiple solutions as students discover, perceive and value their creative self, diverse cultures and their environment.
• Through the development of visual and cultural literacy, ensure our students are prepared to intelligently analyse and interpret their world.